- Determine virtual classroom design constraints.
- Determine initial timing parameters for the course.
- Determine which content can be practiced in a virtual session.
- Create a design plan that maximizes application and practice.
- Select the most effective presentation and application methods.
- Design engaging presentation methods.
- Design interactive application methods.
- Structure lessons for virtual sessions and intersessions.
- Assemble all course components.
- Design a comprehensive lesson plan for the facilitator and producer.
- Develop shelf-resistant participant materials.
- Minimize the challenges of administering level 1 evaluations in the virtual classroom.
This workshop is delivered using the Adobe Connect platform. However, the content has been designed to apply to a wide variety of virtual classroom platforms.
For trainers who are currently designing or are expected to design synchronous/virtual classroom training. Participants should have fundamental knowledge and experience with instructional design principles. The workshop is also aimed at virtual classroom facilitators/trainers who want to gain a solid understanding of the unique design considerations that apply to the virtual classroom.
This workshop will give you a systematic, step-by-step, proven approach to design virtual classroom training that is as powerful as traditional classroom training (if not more). Rather than focusing narrowly on how to create interactions using the tools of a virtual classroom platform, this workshop will show you how to leverage all the features of your virtual classroom platform to make your training engaging and interactive and set your learners up for success when they return to their jobs.
- A comprehensive list of constraints to consider before you start designing.
- The importance of limiting group size in a virtual session.
- Why the length of a virtual classroom (VC) session matters.
- 3 technical constraints that can’t be overlooked.
- The 10 most critical constraints that can impact virtual training.
- A simple worksheet to determine the constraints and their implications.
- Best Practices for building effective virtual classroom training.
- How to determine timing parameters that will affect the course design.
- What an ideal VC course schedule looks like.
- A quick-reference tool of possible VC course schedules (from most to least desirable).
- How to proactively plan for a VC course when you are faced with less than ideal timing constraints.
- How to make a course lean and effective.
- The factors that have the greatest impact on learners in the virtual classroom.
- An invaluable tool to help you structure your course design decisions.
- How content influences the sequencing of a course.
- How to set expectations for the length of VC sessions and intersession work.
- How to make your virtual training active and performance-based (instead of a passive webinar).
- What performance-based practice is and why it's so important.
- How to determine when performance-based practice is required.
- 4 factors that may dictate when content cannot be practiced in a virtual session.
- The importance of defining client expectations for learner competence.
- The 3 fundamental phases of instruction (regardless of delivery medium used).
- Instructional methods versus VC platform tools.
- The most commonly used presentation and application methods in virtual training.
- The top 20 instructional methods used in the virtual classroom and 30+ creative variations.
- An indispensable selection grid for methods and tools.
- How to ensure you select the right method.
- How feedback is different in the virtual classroom.
- 10 guidelines for selecting the best feedback option for an exercise.
- How to leverage the tools of your VC platform to build interactive virtual sessions.
- How to use a systematic and cyclical process to design a VC course.
- How to design presentation methods to engage learners.
- How to design highly interactive application methods.
- Step-by-step worksheets to guide you in the detailed design of methods.
- The fundamental building blocks of a lesson (unit of instruction/module).
- What to do when there is too much content for a virtual session.
- How to best schedule intersession work.
- 20 possible intersession activities and exercises including blended options.
- How pre- and post-course activities can augment a course and help you deal with a shortage of time.
- How to estimate the timing of a virtual session while you are building the course.
- A practical worksheet to estimate VC session timing.
- The ideal structure for a VC course.
- How to best structure a lesson plan.
- What to include in a lesson plan.
- 30 best practices for writing a lesson plan.
- How to create a solid lesson plan template.
- A sample lesson plan to use as a tangible model.
- What slides to include in a slide deck.
- 15 useful tips to format slides for a VC environment.
- 10 practical guidelines for creating a shelf-resistant participant manual.
- How to create a sound participant manual template.
- When a workbook should be included with participant materials.
- 12 tips for creating workbooks and handouts.
- How to overcome the challenges of administering course evaluations online.
Please visit Adobe Connect's Tech Specs for the most current technical requirements.
All the worksheets, checklists, and forms in Microsoft® Word template format. Simply download them from your personal My Langevin website.
30-day access to all recorded online sessions.
Free 1-year edit service. Receive detailed feedback on your materials to help improve your courses.
Free telephone consultation. If you need advice, confirmation of a decision, or someone to discuss ideas with – just give us a call.
"I have taken online courses from other companies that were draining and unfocused. Langevin classes on the other hand are wonderful! They set the pace based on the learners. They demonstrate best practices as they teach them. They give plenty of time for practice, and all their intersession work serves a purpose. Any Langevin class, is well worth taking!"
Catherine Rusnak - Booz Allen Hamilton