Written by: Melissa
It’s been a while since the beginning of 2013. How are those New Year resolutions going? Do you even remember them? (Did you even make any?)
Well, even if you didn’t set goals for yourself at the start of the year, it’s never too late to start. In fact, New Year resolutions might just be another form of procrastination when it comes to setting the goals that will last you a lifetime. (“I know, I’ll do it next year!”) So, let’s get down to brass tacks…what will it take for you to accomplish the goals you’ve set for your life: starting a new job, a new hobby, getting that certification, or learning a new skill set? In other words, what will it take for you to be successful?
As luck would have it, I recently came across an article in Investor’s Business Daily (one of my husband’s favorite publications) on what makes people successful. IBD spent years analyzing leaders and successful people in all walks of life and put together a list of the ten traits which, when combined, can turn dreams into reality:
- How you think is everything. Always be positive. Think success, not failure. Beware of a negative environment.
- Decide upon your true dreams and goals. Write down your specific goals and develop a plan to reach them.
- Take action. Goals are nothing without action. Don’t be afraid to get started. As Nike says, “Just do it.”
- Never stop learning. Go back to school or read books. Get training and acquire skills.
- Be persistent and work hard. Success is a marathon, not a sprint. Never give up.
- Learn to analyze details. Get all the facts, all the input. Learn from your mistakes.
- Focus your time and money. Don’t let other people or things distract you.
- Don’t be afraid to innovate; be different. Following the herd leads to mediocrity.
- Deal and communicate with people effectively. No person is an island. Learn to understand and motivate others.
- Be honest and dependable. Take responsibility. If you don’t, numbers 1-9 won’t matter!
Do you already possess some of these traits? Have you had success as a result of these traits? Finally, do you have any secrets to success you would like to share? I’d love to hear them!